How to Be an Elder
Myths and Stories of the Wise Woman Archetype
|Add to Cart|
100% guarantee on Sounds True titles
We unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction with all Sounds True products for one year when purchased via our website or catalog. If a Sounds True product fails to meet your expectations—for any reason—simply return it with receipt for a full refund. For items purchases from Sounds True, which manufactured by other companies, we indicate the warranty period in the product description.
Please note: Refund requests over 120 days from the purchase date will receive a check as funds cannot be returned to the credit card due to fraud protection policies.
All downloadable audio and video titles are also covered by a 1-year guarantee.
“What makes an elder, a heartfelt spirit, a clear mind, a talented heart, one who is young while old and old while young, an activist for the Soul? Is it formulae, schemas, lexicons? It could be. But also, and often more so, I think it is very like the flowering of the trees in the forest, as we gather more years: we straggle and stride onward in our better learned ways to give out even more seeds for new life, and to blossom wildly in so doing for self and others … The old ones are yet traveling underground and overland toward us as we meet by the fireside one more time. La Vidente, the Seer. La Que Sabe, the Knowing Woman. La Levantadora, the Lifter of Curses—the Dangerous Old Woman in her many likenesses calls to you to ‘get down to business.’” —Clarissa Pinkola Estés, PhD
How to Be an Elder presents the culmination of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés’ masterwork, inviting us to “come into our own as wiser and wild souls” through six sessions of teachings, stories, poetry, and blessings. In this fifth and final volume of Dr. Estés’ landmark series, we will explore how it is that through the gathering of our years we become a beautiful refuge for ourselves, our Souls, and for those who come after us.
“Did I mention, dear brave souls,” reminds Dr. Estés, “that you came with all the seedlings needed to do your work, to take your venerable places in life? Now is the just-right time, like Sleeping Beauty, to break the enchantment, to truly awaken and awaken others, as either a rookie Dangerous Old Woman, or a mid-career Dangerous Old Woman, or as Crone with Crown complete!”
Join in the unfolding of the great gifts and vast new life you were meant to share, with How to Be an Elder.
Session 1: Las Recordadoras, The Rememberers: The Wildest And Wisest Ones of All: They've Learned, That Is, Earned, Their Ways Through Life by Gathering their Years As Chapters in a Book
- Aunt Edna on Becoming a Venerable "Old Squinty Eye"
- The Time for All to Live and Let Live
- If You Were an Old Fairytale Crone, This Is What You Would Be About
- Maps Through: Sacred Offerings Made More and More as One Gathers Years
- Sharing Wisdom with Others Who Ask: Measuring Intent
- Story: "La Arbol De La Vida: The Tree of Life: To Know What Lasts … Not What We Were Taught To Believe
- Story: "Memoria, Stars Over the Forest"
- Blasting Falsehood: Regard and Respect Earned by Growth in Consciousness, and Actions, Not by Years Lived
- Teaching Self and Others: Attitude Is the Essence
- List of "Matters That Matter" to Support Self and the Young Who Burgeon with Their Own Forms of Wisdom
Session 2: La Vieja, The Awakened Old One in Fairy Tales: Her Ways of Not Simply Knowing, But Her Actions That Follow the Soul's Path Faithfully
- Aunt Edna on Dummies vs. Demons (Unconsciousness and Consciousness)
- Shadow and Light: Daily Practices of "Blessing-Consciousness": What Is Blessing-Consciousness?
- "The Gritty Forest Path": The Truth About Opportunities in Age to See More Clearly, Act More Clearly, Love More Clearly, Set Limits More Clearly … For the First Time, or Again, or At Last
- The Health of the Loving Consort, Your Body; This Blessing-Consciousness Is up to You
- Story: "Sleeping Beauty"
- Daily Practice of What Matters; This Blessing-Consciousness Is up to You
- Creative Life As Oxygen; This Blessing-Consciousness Is up to You
- The Aerial View: Relationships Based on Infinity Rather Than Mundane Circumstances Only. This Blessing-Consciousness Is up to You.
- Strong Life Force in Age: Becoming Comadres (In Spanish this Means, "I Am Your Sister-Mother-Daughter-Friend … And You Are All These to Me Too)." This Blessing-Consciousness Is up to Us All.
Session 3: La Vidente, the Seer: The Old Woman as Seer of Other Realities
- Aunt Edna on "Being Spooky" As Only Old Women Can Be
- Tree in Winter: First Frost, Last Frost
- Hardening Off the Heartwood; Breaking the Heart Open
- Poem line, "What Is Cold, Bursts, What Is Warmed, Blooms"
- Story: "Rumpelstilskin"
- Granting the Map: Teaching the Young to Name Names, to See Under and Around and Through
- The Negative Complex of Narrowed Vision
- Story: "The Loathly Bride"
- Drawing Sovereignty Boundaries for and Against Others' Best Intentions
- What Is Honoring, What Is Not: How to Bless Self and Others, and Why
Session 4: La Levantadora, The Lifter of Maldiciones, Curses: Reconciling the Shadows Which Sometimes Have Fallen Over Every Soul's Life
- On Mal Ojo, Aunt Edna on the Evil Eye
- Forms of Shadow, Bidden and Unbidden
- How Does Shadow Turn into a Curse, Psychically?
- Story: "The Faithful Tree Seeds on the Trochimochi Wind"
- Story: "Rapunzely: On the Lifting of Curses"
- The Victim As a Stage of Healing
- Introjects: Removing the Poison Darts
- Practice for Rewriting Life's Endings (And the Past, via Aerial View and Mythic Context)
- The Value of the Four Kinds of Forgiveness
- Difficult and Devastating Twists of Fate: Serious Callings Made Visible by No Other Means
- Storycito: "The Faithful Gardener"
Session 5: La Que Sabe, The Knowing Woman
- Aunt Edna on Strength: The Seed Buried Underground
- The Tree, Even without Eyes, Can See Light
- Story: "Stolen Mother Moon," The Hidden Wholeness
- La Luna; The Aeternal Beacon of Silver Light
- Story: "The Fire Seed"
- Truths that Often Become Much More Apparent As One Gathers Years
- No One Is Allowed to Be Innocent Forever
- Part of the Great Cycle Is Sometimes to Be Lost
- "The Old Cherry Tree": We Live Each Day in Hopes of Seeing the Beautiful World Anew … And One More Time
- The Modern Rite of Passage Is the Same As the Ancient One
- Story: "Old Man on the Train"
- Story: "Acedia"
Session 6: Los Enamoratos, Lifelong Love: The Troth for Life and Afterlife, I Shall Ever Walk with You in Love
- Aunt Edna and Nagymama Viktoriá on What Makes a Good Lover
- The Archetype of the Old Lover
- The Seaworthy Heartwood
- Terezia's Talk on "Perfect Love"
- Story: "Baucis and Philemon"
- On Choosing Resilience
- The Ties of Life-Long Love
- Story: "The Rebbe's Advice to the Heart of the Home"
- An Odd and True Definition of "Soul Mate"
- "I Belong to You, You Belong to Me: 10 Practices of Loving for Life."
- The Lifelong Love of Creatures, of Creator, of Nature, of Justicia
- Story: "The Mountain of Old Lovers"
- "The 185 Last Words"
Write Your Own Review
- Brilliant as always Review by Clare
I'm a bit sad that his series has come to an end.
I have learned so much from Clarissa's stories and explanations.
I'm a better person for having found her.
Thank you so much.
(Posted on 2/18/2015)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Mary M
I am an elder, and to have a guide this time in my life is such a gift. I do appreciate the advice , the wisdom
and the direction that Dr. E. shares in this audio. I
can't begin to thank her, as words would not come close to conveying what a difference this has made in my life.
(Posted on 10/27/2013)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Mary M
I am now an Elder. Without having had any direction or preparation I wasn't clear on what I might encounter. Dr. E. gives a clear and humorous map.
My experience with aging has been positive. Now I see the importance of my new role. Yipee. Any one who is already and elder or approaching, get ready for a fun and joyful ride. My experience is it only gets better with each passing year. Her words will inspire you and get ready for a lot of laughter.
(Posted on 1/24/2013)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Mary Lillian B
A great ending and thus new beginning for all of us and CPE. Abundance to you
(Posted on 10/22/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Barbara P
I adore Dr. Estes that find everything she teaches enlightening!
(Posted on 10/20/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by LOURDES O
As always, Dr. Estes content is fabulous. However, it's apparent that part of her teaching is cut out of the recording. Do I need to download the sessions again?
(Posted on 8/29/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by regina ballinger
an especial, supportive and inspiring series as i live my own journey
(Posted on 6/24/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Anna Walker
Each session of How to be an Elder is a magical journey with master storyteller, Dr. E. Each part of this Dangerous Old Woman series has touched me deeply, and I will carry the wisdom found with me always. Deep gratitude to Dr. E. and Sounds True for the spiritual treasures.
(Posted on 5/22/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Christine Andrus
This series is even more wonderful than I anticipated! CPE is a fabulous story teller. She brings the stories to life and relates them to our life journeys. I have one of the previous sessions and plan to purchase the others soon. I can listen to them several times and find new relevance each time.
(Posted on 5/21/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Judith Kubes
Excellent as usual
(Posted on 5/16/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by corie johnson
Thank you Sounds True for providing a home and broadcasting base for our dearly treasured Dr. Estes.
As with all her work, Estes has shown us how to make the stitches in the mending, and making of life. Thank you to our dear Dr CPE, the hobbits and Tami. Well done!
(Posted on 5/5/2012)
- Review for How to Be an Elder Review by Lauren Vines
Excellent!!! Clarissa always shares an abundance of delightful content that over delivers my expectations.
I highly recommend this program to anyone who has the depth to accept true innate wisdom.
(Posted on 4/21/2012)
Contents 6 Audio downloads (12 hours) Date Published July 01, 2012 Product Code WC02697N