The MBSR Online Course
An 8-Week Training in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
|Add to Cart|
Test available after course is finished
Self-Guided Video Course
100% guarantee on Sounds True titles
We unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction with all Sounds True products for one year when purchased via our website.
If a Sounds True product fails to meet your expectation—for any reason—simply return it with receipt for a full refund or exchange—whichever you prefer.
For items manufactured by other companies, we indicate the warranty period in the product description.
Benefits of Mindfulness
- Lasting relief for physical and psychological distress
- Cope more effectively with both short- and long-term stress
- Greater peace, balance, and enthusiasm for life
Want to buy the CE credits only?
If you already purchased this title, you can purchase the CE credits separately.
NOTE: CE credits are available for US customers only.
- Discuss mindfulness, a basic human quality, as a way of learning to pay attention to whatever is happening in your life—allowing you a greater sense of connection to your life inwardly and outwardly
- Explain and experience the benefits of the MBSR curriculum, including lasting relief for physical and psychological distress; the ability to cope more effectively with both long- and short-term stress; as well as the cultivation of greater peace, balance, and enthusiasm for life
- Discuss mindfulness as a practice, a systematic method aimed at cultivating clarity, insight, and understanding
- Utilize formal and informal mindfulness practices to experientially learn to take better care of yourself by exploring and understanding the interplay of mind and body, while mobilizing your own inner resources for coping, growing, and healing.
- Practice with hours of video instruction on mindfulness meditation, stretching, mindful yoga, and guidance for enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Utilize eight weekly classes and one day-long class outlined within the curriculum and methodology developed by Jon-Kabat Zinn and taught by Center for Mindfulness director Dr. Saki Santorelli, and senior instructor Florence Meleo-Meyer
Mindfulness—A Medically Sound Practice for Learning, Growing and Healing
In 1979, Jon Kabat-Zinn founded the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts to bring a form of meditation known as mindfulness into the medical mainstream. Mindfulness is a basic human quality, a way of learning to pay attention to whatever is happening in your life that allows you a greater sense of connection to your life inwardly and outwardly. Mindfulness is also a practice, a systematic method aimed at cultivating clarity, insight, and understanding. In the context of your health, mindfulness is a way for you to experientially learn to take better care of yourself by exploring and understanding the interplay of mind and body and mobilizing your own inner resources for coping, growing, and healing.
Nearly three decades of scientific research at medical centers all over the world suggest that training in mindfulness and MBSR can positively and often profoundly affect participants' ability to reduce medical symptoms and psychological distress while learning to live life more fully.
We Call Our Approach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
Since its inception, more than 20,000 people have completed the MBSR training program. They have been referred by more than 5,000 physicians, by hundreds of other health care professionals, and through self-referral. These participants have been strongly motivated to do something for themselves—something no one else can do for them—by learning to draw upon their inner resources and natural capacity for greater health as well as balance, ease, and peace of mind.
The MBSR Online Course is the only complete online training in MBSR and follows the same, well-respected method taught at the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. This eight-week course offers the curriculum and methodology developed by Jon-Kabat Zinn and is taught by Center for Mindfulness director Dr. Saki Santorelli, and senior instructor Florence Meleo-Meyer.
An Invitation to Move Toward Greater Balance, Control, and Participation in Your Life
Across the world, people from all walks of life, backgrounds, and beliefs have accepted this invitation. They are a lot like you, and they've learned to integrate the methods developed at the Center for Mindfulness into their everyday lives. More than two decades of published research indicates that the majority of people who complete the MBSR curriculum report:
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short- and long-term stressful situations
Mindfulness is a way of learning to relate directly to whatever is happening in your life, a way of taking charge of your life, a way of consciously and systematically working with your own stress, pain, illness, and the challenges and demands of everyday life.
In contrast, you've probably encountered moments of "mindlessness"—a loss of awareness resulting in forgetfulness, separation from self, and a sense of living mechanically. Restoring within yourself a balanced sense of health and well-being requires increased awareness of all aspects of self, including body and mind, heart and soul. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is intended to ignite this inner capacity and infuse your life with awareness.
Reawakening to What You Already Are
Mindfulness is not something that you have to "get" or acquire. It is already within you—a deep internal resource available and patiently waiting to be released and used in the service of learning, growing, and healing. While the practices have been adapted from classical Buddhist meditation and yoga traditions, MBSR is a secular, scientifically-informed approach that operates in harmony with any belief system or spiritual background.
MBSR has benefited people reporting a variety of conditions and concerns:
- Stress—including work, school, family, financial, illness, aging, grief, uncertainty about the future, and feeling "out of control"
- Medical conditions—including chronic illness or pain, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, cancer, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, skin disorders, headaches, and many other conditions
- Psychological distress—including anxiety, panic, depression, fatigue, and sleep disturbances
- Prevention and wellness—including health enhancement and wellness focused on prevention and learning the "how" of taking good care of yourself and feeling a greater sense of resilience and balance
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is highly respected within the medical community. It is not offered as an alternative to traditional medical and psychological treatments but as a complement to these approaches. Our experiences over nearly three decades suggest that doing what you can for yourself, coupled with what your physician can do for you, can be far more effective than either approach on its own.
A Life-Affirming Course in Conscious Living
The course schedule consists of eight weekly classes and one day-long class. This highly participatory, practical course presented by Dr. Saki Santorelli and senior instructor Florence Meleo-Meyer includes:
- More than 16 hours of video instruction on mindfulness meditation, stretching, mindful yoga, and guidance for enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Four hours of guided mindfulness practice on audio
- Elements from the in-person MBSR course workbook available in PDF format
- Online journal to record and reflect about your experiences
- Completion graph to track your progress through the course
- Two annual live sessions—A Day in Mindfulness
- Continuing practice emails—once a week for four weeks after you complete the course
All participants will also receive two free gifts:
- Discount of $50 off a purchase of $95 or more of selected mindfulness-based learning resources from Sounds True
- Free audio practice on kindness, presented by Florence Meleo-Meyer
All materials in this course will be yours to keep—you can return to any previous session at any time to refresh your experience.
A Training with Benefits that Last a Lifetime
Since its inception, tens of thousands of people have completed the eight-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program and learned how to use their innate resources and abilities to respond more effectively to stress, pain, and illness. The MBSR Online Course brings you the complete intensive training in mindfulness meditation and its integration into the challenges and adventures of everyday life.
"The Stress Reduction Program became my lifeline—it literally saved my life. One can find peace and calm in the middle of chaos and confusion."
"The techniques I learned, particularly meditation, have proven so powerful and helpful."
"I never thought once I started living in constant pain that I would ever be able to have peace of mind and enjoy life again. Thank you for proving me wrong."
"I became aware that when I was acting on impulse, I could stop and not just react. It changed my life."
"Thanks UMass, for one of the best gifts I've ever received … real tools for a healthy, vibrant, mindful life."
"This is the first time I have been relatively pain free in five years."
"The problems and issues haven't gone away, but the way I choose to handle them has changed … I feel so much more positive about this life."
"The program at UMass has opened doors to a more productive day for me. My concentration levels are up, my stress is more controlled, and the need to seek a level of balance in my life has been met."
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Eileen B
This is an excellent program with good support. Well done! It feels like I am in the group with the leaders.
(Posted on 10/23/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Sylvie B
I was extremely disapointed by this purchase.I find the narrators tone and speed of speach extremely slow and monotonous. I really regret bying this product especially after having listened to mr John K. Zinn talking about it.
(Posted on 10/4/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Donna M
I've known about MBSR since Bill Moyers introduced us to it in 1990. I don't know that I'd ever have a chance to do the in person course so I was quite excited to see this become available. More than halfway through now I can say that it is truly transformational. I have been guided safely to where I can turn toward the difficult areas of my life and feel what is to be felt and not be afraid. I feel myself opening more to what is and curious about where this opening will lead me. I am applying what I've learned so far to a chronic and deeply challenging area of my life and I am experiencing how mindfulness affects stress. Thank you for teaching us this practice!
(Posted on 9/28/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by ADHD_HRgal
I am thrilled with this course. I am only on week 4 and I am no longer having migraines and have cut down on medications for insomnia. This is the first program which has really helped me to cultivate mindfulness in my everyday life and build a practice which has helped significantly with my ADHD and Generalized Anxiety. I was so excited to see an online course offering and at a significant cost reduction from the in-house programs offered here which usually run at about $375.00.
I have been recommending this program to everyone I know. It's perfect for workplace wellness programs too.
(Posted on 9/21/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Ellen D
I LOVE the program and would recommend it to everyone who is ready for it. However, the delivery was poor since you could not forward or back without the program freezing and forcing you to log off and sign in all over again. Very frustrating!! This was not due to my server - it was a "sounds True" issue.
(Posted on 9/9/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Bear
Week 1 was so boring I never went on to week 2. That's a fine $200 shot. Frustrated.
(Posted on 9/2/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Elenora K
(Posted on 9/2/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Kali L
The presenters and the program are excellent.
(Posted on 8/24/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Patricia H
I am half way through the MBSR online course and I feel like I have been thrown a lifeline. I am a worrier. I believe that was learned behavior. With the skills I am learning by taking the MBSR course, there are times throughout the day when I am at peace. I feel present, and the present is usually not a scary place. Also, I sleep so much better. I am so glad my husband suggested this course when he noticed I had started reading his books on mindfulness. The instructors are an inspiration and they are doing a great job keeping me engaged.
(Posted on 8/7/2014)
- Review for The MBSR Online Course Review by Michelle
I have found this to be very helpful
(Posted on 8/7/2014)
Write Your Own Review
Contents 30 CE credits Date Published October 14, 2013 Product Code ce04238
Self-Guided Video Course
Contents Live online video; Video downloads; Audio downloads Date Published October 14, 2013 Product Code ap04221