About The Freedom to Choose Something Different:
We all know what it’s like to be triggered—to have said something we wish we hadn’t, or reacted in a way that wasn’t helpful. What if there was a way to interrupt our knee-jerk responses? Bestselling author and American Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön offers a liberating teaching called shenpa for disarming reactivity, and offers tools for putting it to work in our own lives.
What You Will Receive:
Six Video Learning Sessions with Pema Chödrön
Pema Chödrön offers six video sessions of insights, stories, and practices for incorporating the Tibetan Buddhist teachings of shenpa into your life.
Two Video Sessions with Glenna Olmsted
Glenna Olmsted, senior student of Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Pema Chödrön, leads two video Q&A with participants from the live course.
Complete Downloads of All Course Materials
The entire program of The Freedom to Choose Something Different is yours to keep and enjoy.
Finding Freedom through Seeing How We Get Hooked
In The Freedom to Choose Something Different, Pema Chödrön shares the liberating wisdom of an approach that she uses in her personal daily practice, along with tools for putting it to work in our own lives. Join her for six online sessions of video teachings and two recorded Q&A video sessions with Glenna Olmsted, senior student of Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Pema Chödrön. This complete learning experience includes practice tips, reflection questions, and guided meditations for learning how to recognize the moment-by-moment choice points in our lives.
- Shenpa, an ineffable Tibetan term that attempts to describe the quality of getting hooked, and a practice for getting unhooked
- The Three Difficult Practices, and Pema’s expert guidance on how to use them for positive transformation in your life
- Ways to unravel patterns of self-denigration
- How to cultivate acceptance of your irritability, insecurities, and other less noble human traits
- The power of pause, a simple practice that makes a big difference in our daily lives
- How staying with discomfort can help us uncover our innate wisdom and confidence
- The dynamic, fluid nature of groundlessness and how it can help transform your habits, addictions, and behaviors
- Guided contemplative practices for cultivating the awareness of shenpa in everyday life
- Two Q&A sessions recorded with live course participants with Glenna Olmsted, senior student of Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Pema Chödrön
Note: The previous release of this course was titled Getting Unstuck: The Freedom to Choose Something Different.
About Noble Heart:
You can't get away from suffering. That's the good news, teaches Pema Chödrön. For at the core of your most painful experiences, perhaps more than anywhere else, you will find the seeds of your awakening.
On Noble Heart, this beloved American-born Buddhist nun shows you how vulnerability is your greatest spiritual resource on the path through life's difficulties. The noble heart, Ane Pema teaches, is one that sheds its armor, opening itself fearlessly to both heartache and delight. Using special meditations and traditional teachings, Pema Chödrön leads you, step-by-step, toward a full realization of your true strength, the strength that can come only through embracing the pain of your own experience.
Noble Heart was recorded as it happened, within the peaceful shrine room of Gampo Abbey, Ane Pema's home on the cliffs of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Structured so that you can create your own retreat at home or at your meditation center, this complete curriculum brings you key teachings about how to recognize and cultivate the soft spot that is the gateway to your own noble heart.
Here is the promise of the Four Limitless Ones—maitri (loving-kindness), compassion, joy, and equanimity—and down-to-earth advice about how to draw strength from them every day, in any situation. Here, too, are the treasured teachings about the Six Paramitas: the Buddha's own map of the journey to enlightenment. Learn how to connect with your innately unlimited friendliness, and how it can grow big enough to contain the entire world.
With four complete meditations, unique heart teachings, and Ane Pema's trademark humor, Noble Heart invites you to discover for yourself the compassion and wisdom that have established her as a leading voice in American Buddhism. Includes more than nine hours of direct teachings from this revered acharya (master teacher), as well as a 48-page study guide.
- The four great catalysts of awakening, and how to begin integrating them into your life today
- The basic goodness that nothing can take away from you
- Authentic Tibetan Buddhist chants for generating gratitude and compassion
- Where to find and how to build your inner strength and trust
- The maitri meditation that multiplies love
- How the Three Noble Principles can enrich everything you do
- Why you need your soft spot to awaken spiritually
- When "don't know" mind is wiser than all the teachings in the world
- The Three Lords of Materialism—and how to diffuse their power
- The antidote to aggression
- A melting practice you can use to undo isolation and anxiety