Thank you for your interest in publishing with Sounds True. We strive to be a trusted partner on the spiritual journey offering diverse, in-depth, and life-changing wisdom delivered with beauty, quality, and integrity. To this end, we are happy to consider unsolicited submissions. Although the volume of submissions is such that we cannot offer individual feedback, we are dedicated to giving each person's work a genuine review. We are continually looking for new material in the form of books, spoken-word audio, music, DVDs, and multimedia products.
How to Submit Your Work
- Read the guidelines and FAQs below.
- If you are a literary agent, music artist's representative, or a published author, please send your inquiry to email@example.com
- If you are not an agent or published author, prepare your proposal for shipment. Be sure to send copies of your work, never originals.
- Perform the blessing ritual of your choice (optional).
- Mail your submission to:
Sounds True Acquisitions Department
413 S. Arthur Ave.
Louisville, CO 80027
Books: At Sounds True, we want our books to be as useful and relevant 20 years from now as they are today. Spirituality, religion, mind-body health, transpersonal psychology, spiritually oriented self-help, and science and spirit titles are of interest to us. Our challenge (and yours) is to reach as broad an audience as possible without sacrificing depth. We do not publish poetry, but will consider spiritual memoir and fiction titles if they are extraordinarily well-written and meet the intention of our mission statement. We no longer include CDs or DVDs with our books.
Spoken-Word Audio: Our audio learning programs provide substantive information and guided instruction from the great teachers of our time on the topics of spirituality, meditation and other transformative practices, consciousness, mind-body health and healing, self-empowerment, and world religions. We do not hire professional readers, but rather prefer to record authors and teachers in their natural speaking style. Sounds True audios are based on books, with few exceptions, such as "original author adaptations" rather than a straight read of the work.
DVDs and Multimedia Products: Sometimes audio isn't the right medium to fully present an author's material. Sounds True publishes a select number of DVDs and home study courses per year, usually with established authors and presenters. Home study courses generally include more than 10 hours of audio and/or video, a workbook or study guide, and support materials including cards or charts, although shorter programs are not out of the question. We also release stand-alone instructional DVDs, but are extremely selective in what we will publish.
Music: Sounds True has an abiding interest in music that provides a benefit to the listener, as well as music that can be used as support for spiritual practice or a conscious lifestyle. Therapeutic and sound healing music is of interest, especially when the sound-healing benefit has research to back it up. Note that we do not produce music records in the Sounds True studio, but prefer to license a completed master from the artist.
Book proposals should be on 8½ x 11 paper, double spaced, and unbound, unless the proposal is in the form of a self-published book. Please include an outline and sample chapters (not the entire manuscript), along with your biographical information, publishing history, and publicity platform, including your event schedule, average number of attendees, and website and social media statistics, if applicable. If you have self-published your book, include your sales to date and the distribution channels through which it has sold.
Audio, DVD, and multimedia product proposals should include a description and outline of the proposed content, a sample of the audio and/or video material, your biographical information, publishing history, and publicity platform, including your event schedule, average number of attendees, and website and social media statistics, if applicable. Demo CDs should be in your natural speaking style rather than a reading from a book or script. A professional audio recording is not required. If you have self-published your material, include your sales to date and the distribution channels through which it has sold.
Music proposals should include a completed master recording on CD, a description of yourself and your music, your touring schedule, and, when applicable, information about the specific spiritual, healing, or benefit orientation of the music including any special composition or production techniques you employ. If you have released your music under your own label, include your sales to date and the distribution channels through which it has sold.
Note: Please do not send material on flash drives, Mp3 players, or other similar devices.
- Why hard copies? Don’t you want to save a tree? We know it's the 21st century, but due to issues including software compatibility, security, and server overload, we have found it difficult to manage unsolicited electronic submissions. With that said, we would like to encourage submission of a few sample chapters (not just the introduction or chapter summaries), rather than an entire manuscript. We only accept unsolicited submissions in hard copy form, and do not respond personally to email inquiries regarding our submission guidelines.
- How will I know my beautiful and carefully prepared package has been received? Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are no longer able to acknowledge receipt of unsolicited submissions. You may mail with a return receipt if you choose.
- Will anybody actually look at my stuff? We really do read/listen to/watch your material, and we genuinely appreciate the time and effort you put into your work. It seems there are more people moved to share their spiritual insights with others than at any time in history. We are honored and humbled to take part in this dissemination of wisdom.
- Will I ever hear from a real person at Sounds True? We regret that due to the large number of submissions we receive, we can only respond personally to authors and artists we are interested in publishing. If we find that your submission has publication potential, one of our editors will be in touch with you eight to 12 weeks after receiving your materials.
- What did you do with my stuff after you rejected me? Rest assured that your unpublished submission was recycled or otherwise destroyed.
- I’m already published, but am looking for a distributor—can you help? We do not act as a distributor for other publishers' materials, although we do consider self-published works for possible licensing or re-release as Sounds True titles.
- Have you ever published an unsolicited submission? Although the majority of our publications come to us from current authors, agents, and our editorial department's efforts, we have successfully published a number of titles that were simply mailed to us.
Thank you again for your interest in joining Sounds True's mission to inspire, support, and serve continuous spiritual awakening and its expression in the world. We look forward to hearing from you.
Yours on the journey,
Sounds True Acquisitions