A Six-Session Audio Training Program for Transforming Your Relationship with Yourself
Why does it feel so natural to be compassionate and kind to those we care about, yet so hard to treat ourselves the same way?
"Our culture teaches us to use self-criticism for motivation and to build self-esteem by constantly measuring ourselves against everyone else," says Dr. Kristin Neff. "We need to re-learn the essential skill of being genuinely nurturing and supportive toward ourselves."
With Self-Compassion Step by Step, this groundbreaking researcher reveals the clinically proven power of self-kindness, with practical training for cultivating an enduring and unshakable sense of your fundamental human worthiness.
Self-Compassion: The Mainstay of Happiness and Well-Being
Over the past decade, an overwhelming body of research has shown self-compassion to be a master key to good psychological and physical health. In fact, a recent finding in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy shows that this audio program, specifically, improves not only self-compassion but also anxiety relief.
Whether you wish to reduce stress, develop healthy habits for exercise or diet, unlock your creativity, or even deal with serious conditions such as depression or addiction, a strong sense of self-compassion is an essential ingredient for success.
Best of all, self-compassion is a skill that can be learned. Through six sessions of teaching, Dr. Neff offers guided meditations, experiential practices, and on-the-spot techniques to help you build a strong foundation of self-compassion in your daily life.
"We often become our own worst critic because we believe it's necessary to keep ourselves motivated," says Dr. Neff, "but in fact the research shows that healthy self-compassion increases our inner drive, our resilience to setbacks, and our ability to excel at work and in every aspect of life."
With Self-Compassion Step by Step, she presents a powerful training program that is both accessible and profoundly transformative, a practical approach for creating a life of greater happiness, fulfillment, and love.
- Self-kindness—how actively comforting ourselves activates our physiological systems designed for soothing and safety
- Common humanity—recognizing the imperfect nature of the shared human experience
- Mindfulness—meeting our moments of suffering with balanced awareness rather than ignoring or exaggerating our pain
- Why we resist self-compassion, debunking the common myths
- The clinically-proven benefits of self-compassion in numerous aspects of life
- Self-esteem vs. self-compassion: crucial differences in how they affect us
- The natural progression of self-compassion practice
- Guided techniques that use visualization, touch, language, and awareness to evoke states of self-compassion, and much more