The Science of Compassion
Breakthrough Science and Practical Tools for Cultivating Compassion
Why is compassion so powerful? Like many forms of spirituality and meditation, compassion practice has been shown by research to enhance your health, psychological well-being, relationships, and sense of purpose. “The unique quality of compassion,” teaches Dr. Kelly McGonigal, “is that its benefits extend to the one who offers it, the one who receives it, and all those who witness compassion in action.” With The Science of Compassion, this acclaimed researcher presents a practical workshop to help you understand what makes compassion work—and how you can cultivate it in your life.
The Power of Choosing Compassion
Compassion can be a difficult choice to make—after all, why would we deliberately choose to add another person’s pain to our own? “Not only does our compassion ease the suffering of others,” teaches Dr. McGonigal, “Our brain, heart, and entire physiology are tuned to support us when we make the courageous decision to be compassionate.” In this seven-hour training intensive, she provides invaluable tools and guidance for overcoming emotional fatigue, empathic distress, self-judgment, and other obstacles that can keep us closed down and afraid to reach out.
“Compassion is an embodied state that prepares us to take positive action,” says Dr. McGonigal. Here is an audio course filled with cutting-edge science, inspirational stories, and research-based practices to help you build your capacity for generosity, empathy, and kindness—and become a compassionate force in the world.
- The Biology of Compassion—empowering findings from the latest compassion research
- The Upward Spiral of Compassion—the power of witnessing and sharing stories of kindness
- The Unique Challenge of Self-Compassion—three keys for offering loving support to ourselves
- Compassionate Presence—when simply being with another without trying to change anything is the best choice
- Empathic Distress—how to keep from being overwhelmed by another’s suffering
- Receiving Compassion—guidance for allowing help to come when we need it
- Difficult Compassion—practices for broadening your ability to offer forgiveness and generosity towards those who cause you pain
- Healing with Compassion—the positive effects of compassion on stress, loneliness, and social anxiety
- Beyond the Self—how we can connect to a source of compassion that surpasses our normal human limits
- Sustaining Openheartedness—how to overcome the common challenges of “compassion fatigue” and “compassion collapse”
- Meditation and Mindfulness—potent tools for cultivating compassion, including guided practices
- Eleven sessions of breakthrough research, heart-opening stories, and transformative practices from renowned health psychologist Dr. Kelly McGonigal
|Contents||6 CDs (6 hours, 46 minutes)||Audio Download (6 hours, 46 minutes)|
|Dimensions||6 7/8 x 6 5/8 inches|
Shipping and Returns
Shipping (US and Canada Only) calculated at checkout.
See Return Policy
100% Sounds True GuaranteeWe stand by our products. Learn more
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
We unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction with all Sounds True download and physical products for one year when purchased via our website. If a Sounds True product fails to meet your expectations for any reason, simply contact Sounds True Customer Service for a full refund. For items purchased from Sounds True that are manufactured by other companies, we indicate the refund period in the product description.
Please note: Due to credit card fraud protection policies, refund requests over 120 days from purchase date will be refunded via a paper check (in US dollars) and mailed to the billing address on file or applied as a credit on account.
All downloadable audio and video titles are also covered by a one year guarantee.
We'll keep you up-to-date on new books and courses, free teachings, podcasts, exclusive discounts, and more.