Meditation in the Temple of Nature
Where have history's great prophets and seekers made their most tremendous spiritual discoveries? From the revelations of Jesus in the desert, to the Buddha's enlightenment under the Bodhi tree, to Black Elk's vision on the mountain, nature remains unsurpassed in its power to transform our lives. Now you can explore for yourself this primal source for transformation, inspiration, and healing that is all around you.
On Sky Above, Earth Below you will undertake a sacred passage into the temple of nature, guided by meditation master and vision quest leader John P. Milton. Since the 1940s, this pioneering spiritual teacher has led more than 10,000 vision quests into the wilds of Colorado, the Himalayas, Bali, the Arctic, Mexico, and other sacred sites around the world.
Now this pathfinder teaches you a way back to the wilderness within you, to discover how it is connected with the vast and sacred mystery of nature. Sky Above, Earth Below gathers together dozens of rare meditations and other practices into a six-stage curriculum you can practice and explore anywhere in the natural world.
- Why meditation in nature is unequaled in its power to transform our lives
- A full-body meditation for the deepest relaxation of your life
- Spiritual practice in nature—where to begin
- How nature's healing energy can wash and renew your body
- The Vision Quest: the classic Shamanic sacred passage in the wild
- Blocked internal pathways—how to clear and open them to earth's energy
- A 10-minute practice to restore your internal balance with the natural world
- A gift you can give the earth through tonglen meditation
- The three qualities of relaxation, and how to practice them
- Why there is more qi in nature than anywhere else, and how to access it directly
- Taoist teachings on the highest realization through integration with nature
- A perceptual meditation for merging with a sacred site
- Presence—a natural key to true liberation in this lifetime
- The best time to accumulate vital energy in nature
- How your internal organs are connected with the elements of nature
- How to realize blissful states in nature, and three principles for achieving them
- The true nature of your mind, and how to cut through to it
- How a leaf can lead you to a satori experience
- Sky Meditation—the ultimate wilderness practice
- Plus many other meditations, teachings, and stories for spiritual communion out of doors