Awaken and Master Empathy, the Most Life-Changing of Emotional Skills
- Define and discuss the six essential aspects of empathy—a scientifically validated human function that can be cultivated in order to improve our relationships and quality of life
- Discuss an empathic guide to emotions including the three basic levels of emotions, the four problems that lead to emotional confusion, as well as the gifts and necessary actions to be taken inherent within each emotion
- Summarize the five basic empathic mindfulness skills—new ways to function around pain and challenges; where emotion work may be requested and respected with the intention of healing and transformation
- Discuss how to engage the art of empathy with self, in relationships, in the workplace, and ultimately, how to contribute to the creation of an empathetic civilization—the human race
Some of us are natural-born empaths—those with an exceptional gift for feeling and understanding the emotions, circumstances, and needs of others. But empathy, teaches Karla McLaren, is a universal human skill that we can all learn to awaken and use wisely.
With The Art of Empathy, you will learn, step-by-step, the art of experiencing through the eyes and hearts of those around you—and to connect with and support them most effectively. Drawing on insights spanning social psychology, current brain research, and traditional healing and spiritual wisdom, this acclaimed teacher and author shows us how to:
- Discover and strengthen this natural social and emotional ability
- Prepare for empathy training by learning to identify and regulate our emotions and boundaries
- Move into the felt experience of others with authenticity and respect
- Stay rejuvenated on the empathic path through grounding, healthy boundaries, and replenishing with joy
- Improve our intimate relationships, parenting efforts, and workplace issues
- Expand empathy into our communities and the natural world
As our social landscape and ways of connecting continue to shift and evolve rapidly, empathy may be the most essential skill for navigating our emotional and interpersonal lives. The Art of Empathy provides us with the insights and training to master its many dimensions.