Stewardship is our best response to our search for better leaders. It finally acknowledges the fact that we are all in this together. Leadership as we know it tries to answer the question "What's in it for me?" Wrong question. The only question that matters is "What do we want to create together?" This is the most compelling question we can ask in business today.
The words of Peter Block convey the essence of his revolutionary message. On The Right Use of Power, this bestselling author and distinguished management consultant fast-forwards us to the business model of the future: a self-governing, accountable organization where power is shared equally, and work has meaning far beyond conventional measures. Join this business visionary as he explores:
- The community of workers, and how faith, service, and communication redefine success
- How to retain the best coworkers, and why it has little to do with money
- The high-control, low-adaptive organization, and its roots in the parent-child relationship
- What the philosopher-artist can teach us about pure motivation
- The controlling boss—the surprising truth about why they do it
- Spirituality in the workplace, and the hidden strengths of our coworkers
- Performance appraisal: obsolete artifact or necessary evil?
- Breaking the cycle of unfulfillable expectations in the workplace, through the partnership model
- The Great Questions technique for building skillful communications and trust at work
- If we redistribute power, do we have to redistribute wealth too?
- Plus compelling real-life examples of the power of stewardship, gained from Peter Block's years of work in both the public and private sectors
Concluding with a tough question-and-answer session with Peter Block, The Right Use of Power will help prepare you for the changes, challenges, and rewards coming in the new era of business—an era that has already begun.